3.06.2009

A superior brunch...

"Welcome to the French Chef. I'm Julia Child..."

des oeufs en cocotte

I watched Julia make these last night. Molded eggs in a muffin tin.

Set a pan that your muffin tin will fit in on the stove with some water to simmer. Turn your oven on to 375. Thoroughly butter the muffin tins that you will be using. When water is at a simmer place buttered muffin tin in the pan of water. Crack one egg into each muffin cup. Salt and pepper the eggs being careful to only salt the whites as salt will discolor the yolk. Julia added some cream to hers but I didn't have any. I grated some cheddar cheese over the top, Julia uses swiss. I think the swiss would be better as it is less intense. I also didn't have any parsley so I used a bit of dried chives. Place in the oven, pan of water and all, and bake 6-7 minutes. I forgot to turn the oven on so mine took more like 10 minutes because it wasn't as hot. You want the eggs to be cooked but if you shake the pan they should jiggle a bit. Let rest a minute or two while you butter and/or jam your toast and pour your tea. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin cup and gently lift out the egg to unmold.

Note: French eggs would be considered undone by American standards, I think. If you want your eggs more "done" cook a little longer. My eggs were French. The yolk was just cooked and the whites still wet.
You can also cook these plain with just some salt and pepper, with cheese, or with just a blend of herbs. Click on the post title for more ideas.

Et Voila!

"This has been the French Chef. i'm Julia Child. Bon Appetit!"

1 comment:

A Homely Heroine said...

The eggs look delicious, I love eggs, thanks for the recipe!