3.25.2010

wunderkind

Right now I am loving beets. They are sweet and very healthy and possible one of the most colorful vegetables of winter. I love how they go from being an ugly ordinary root vegetable

to making it look like you committed kitchen murder

to creating the most brilliantly colored and tasty lunch

Beet Curry Soup. A perfect rainy spring day soup. Not too heavy but still warm and filling. Topped with some good creamline yogurt. Also good chopped raw in a salad with some goat cheese.
I would like to learn to use beets as a dye both for fiber and some tinted lipbalm. I am completely enamored by the color of them.

3 comments:

Jana @ Weekend Vintage said...

Your beets are lovely-I'm still scared of them....maybe I will try some soon. I'm intrigued by the idea of using them for dye or lipbalm. You may be onto something :)
Jana

SimoneB said...

"The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious." Tom Robbins

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Hi Amy!
Wow, that soup looks good. I think your blog gets missed by my reader, too! Don't you just hate that? I'll have to be more hands-on with my blog checking. :) Please do post pictures of your dog! I'd love to see! haha.
I hope all is well!
-Amanda :)